Name changes, industry, diverse population mark town’s history

Calaveras Enterprise - 07-13

0MJtFVRL

Editor’s note: This is the second part in a two-part series on the history of Fiddletown. In 1878, Columbus A. Purinton petitioned the state legislature to change the town’s name from Fiddletown to Oleta. A prominent early resident and owner of the Cosumnes Mining and Ditching Company, Purinton was embarrassed of being known as “the man from Fiddletown” on his trips to Sacramento and San Francisco.

Related